Colours, Patterns, and Numbers
LEGO DUPLO bricks are a great, simple tool to learn about the world around us. In small groups your class will investigate colours, patterns and numbers with DUPLO. Designed for young minds and small hands, this programme also includes plenty of independent creative play in our DUPLO and LEGO pits.
Age range: 3-5 years old (up to Year 1)
Session Length: Rotations of 20-30 minutes facilitated learning and 30-40 minutes creative play
Price: $4.50 per child per hour (Minimum $60 per hour) + GST
Capacity: (min and max numbers)
- Colours, numbers and shapes work together to make patterns
- Patterns can be useful for communicating
Your class will split into small groups (typically 8-10) to spend time investigating colours, patterns and numbers with LEGO DUPLO blocks at Imagination Station. The session finishes with independent play in our DUPLO and LEGO play area - great for creativity, spatial awareness and fine motor skill development.
We are learning to:
Count up to 10
Identify more and less
Exploration | Mana Aotūroa:
An understanding that trying things out, exploring, playing with ideas and materials and collaborating with others are important and valued ways of learning.
Communication | Mana Reo:
Ability to explore, enjoy and describe patterns and relationships related to quantity, number, measurement, shape and space; Recognition that numbers amuse, delight, comfort, illuminate, inform, and excite.
Thinking - Students consider how colours, numbers and shapes can work together or independently to make patterns.
Using language, symbols and text - Students use language to describe the colour, shape, and size of bricks and the patterns they make from DUPLO.
Managing Self - During independent play, students manage their own behaviour appropriately for the environment.
Relating to Others - Students will work together to describe and create patterns.
Participating and contributing - In a group setting, students are encouraged to help the team describe and create patterns.
- DUPLO colour chart - official names of the colours of our DUPLO bricks, so you can practice finding other things in these colours
- Patterns around town activity - a scavenger hunt of different patterns within a 5 minute walking radius of Turanga. (victoria park, margaret mahy, new regent st, te pae, cathedral square, cathedral junction, etc)
- Pattern building set - a paper template for kids to stick blocks (or laminated print outs, or to colour in.