We loved LEGO when we were little, but what's the value of LEGO in our adult lives?
Letting yourself revert to a childlike state of pure imagination is a great salve for a stressful life. In the current climate, many of us are finding ourselves more tense, frustrated and anxious than we’re used to feeling. There’s a significant loss of control associated with widespread uncertainty, and uncertainty seems to be the defining feature of this year.Re-grounding through tactile experiences is not just a great way to connect with children, it’s a valuable way to connect with yourself. We all benefit from calming practices such as mindfulness and meditation, and LEGO can provide a similar experience.
This week, we encourage you to take a few minutes to enjoy building just because you can. It’s satisfying to see a finished product, and there’s a real sense of accomplishment when you engage your brain in problem solving. There are so many benefits to unleashing your creativity, like increased productivity, lowered stress, and increased energy and mood.
Here are a few simple challenges to choose from to get you started:
- Build your name (or initials) from bricks
- Make the floor plan of your dream house
- Arrange some odd-shaped pieces into a rainbow collage (Make sure you check out @witenry on Instagram, his colourful work is incredible)
- Create a charging stand for a phone or iPad
- Build a tower at least as tall as a 5 year old.
- Whatever you like, you’re the grown up! You could search online for some inspo, or just build from your own imagination. Our pinterest page might have something to get your creative juices flowing.
Whatever you decide, keep building until you finish it. That adds a sense of certainty and finality that you might otherwise miss out on. Consider taking your construction apart, too. It’s one of the most satisfying parts of playing with LEGO: indulging your destructive side.
Interested in making LEGO play into an event? If you can organise a group, we can make your event happen!
We can run our great range of events both on-site or off-site, designing programmes to suit your group and your budget, or simply let you host your own event at our facility. You might like building challenges, a movie making session, robotics, or simply your own 'Build and Sip' style evening.
If you’re feeling brave, share your creations with the hashtag “#ImaginationStationNZ” and spread the creativity around! We can’t wait to see what you create!